The Place for Lam Ching Ying Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the late great martial artist Lam Ching Ying

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Recently watched movie thread

Go down 
+3
ekisha
Drunken Master
Raoul
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ekisha

ekisha

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 7:41 pm

It's A Mad Mad World Too 9/10
Great Comedy starring Lydia Shum and Bill Tung.
Lui family buys a new flat,which is very old but good for their budget.And then landlord wants to sell this building to the japanese.So they try everything to drive people out.Everyone leaves the building except Lui family and 2 silly guys...
Funny comedy in 80's styles,this movie continues the original trilogy It's A Mad Mad World.If you love stadard family comedies i'm sure you'll like it.
Back to top Go down
achillesgirl

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 am

Dragon Tiger Gate:

"The story is pretty awful and downright purile at times. The story and characters are forgetable, but the action is first rate. ....
5 out of 10 overall, but 9 out of 10 for action."

I completely agree. Because I don't usually like teen movies, I never considered watching Dragon Tiger Gate until I saw a preview on a DVD. Despite the funny hair and cheezy drama, I really enjoyed the action. The fantasy-fu effects were very nicely done and a lot of fun to watch. I was surprised how well-done this movie is.
Back to top Go down
Dashiell
Dashiell

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm a bit late to the party on this conversation, but agree with Raoul (once again). Martial Club is yet another example of Gordon Liu & Co. pulling out all the stops... when teamed up with Kara Hui you know they're both going to deliver... even if the story does not. Embarassed

excellent
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/seaburynorton
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Male Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 am

I love the alley fight in "Martial Club". Great action moves in extremely limited space. cheers
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:21 am

achillesgirl wrote:
Dragon Tiger Gate:

I completely agree. Because I don't usually like teen movies, I never considered watching Dragon Tiger Gate until I saw a preview on a DVD. Despite the funny hair and cheezy drama, I really enjoyed the action. The fantasy-fu effects were very nicely done and a lot of fun to watch. I was surprised how well-done this movie is.

Actually...I really liked the hairstyles...what does that say about me. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 am

achillesgirl wrote:
Dragon Tiger Gate:

Actually...I really liked the hairstyles...what does that say about me. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am

Hey, "Dragon Tiger Gate" is a comic book adaptation. That is why it is all style with very little substance (& crazy hair). I liked it though and itis way overdue for a repeat viewing from me. I have to confess that I've never been a big fan of Donnie Yen, but even I have to admit he has made a few good films over the last few years.

Anyway, I've got Internet Explorer problems at home at the moment, so I'm just going to list the films I've been watching this week without my usual comments.

"Aces Go Places 3" 3.5/5
"Aces Go Places 4" 4/5
"Unearthed" 1/5
"Marley & Me" 2.5/5
"Yes Man" 3.5/5
"Babysitter Wanted" 3.5/5
"The Champions" 3/5
"Dreadnaught" 4/5
"Crank 2: High Voltage" 3/5
"Female Convict Scorpion - Jailhouse 41" 4/5
"Unhinged" 1.5/5

Back to top Go down
Katalin
Admin
Katalin

Female Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 am

Funny we too watched Marley and me.

I cannot deal with animals dying even if I know that is the way it must be and they had a beautiful life, blablabla... mad girl

Hope your Net problem solves soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lamchingying.com
achillesgirl

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am

Raoul wrote:

LOL! Dragon's hair was way too long to see anything and Turbo's hair had that kinda girly flip on the ends. Was his hair supposed to resemble a bell (like his special bell ability)? Plus, they all had bangs that went to the right, which looked too weirdly obvious when they all stood next to each other.

I see a lot of HK teenagers here in San Francisco who have Goku hair. They must spend hours....
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 am

Katalin wrote:
Funny we too watched Marley and me.

I cannot deal with animals dying even if I know that is the way it must be and they had a beautiful life, blablabla... mad girl

Hope your Net problem solves soon.

It's been playing up for a while, but now it seems to be gone completely. Shocked I may have to uninstall my Internet Explorer and buy a replacement version. I'm hoping a friend of a friend can help.

As for "Marley & Me", I didn't like the end bit. I thought it was a little too graphic for what was meant to be a family friendly film. Tell the story by all means, but they didn't have to show the details. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Katalin
Admin
Katalin

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 am

Drunken Master wrote:

As for "Marley & Me", I didn't like the end bit. I thought it was a little too graphic for what was meant to be a family friendly film. Tell the story by all means, but they didn't have to show the details. Surprised

Exactly. I have a bad feeling that I have to go through that anyway at a point. I have three cats back in Hungary, and we have a sweet old cat with Hubby at home... so... you can imagine that was the last thing I wanted to see. Anybody who had or have pets it was too much. By all means for a hysterically emotional woman like me, it was far too much. hahaha

Even though I know it could be an opportunity for parents to explain... maybe... girlpardon

As for your PC I really hope you sort it out with that friend. So funny we cannot be without our computers. on the pc
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Vampire Hunter D   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Well, I watched this well over a couple of weeks ago now, but I figured I'd add something to this thread again, and anyway, this is a film that I can't rave about enough.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is the anime version of the 1980s manga Vampire Hunter D. It's a bit unclear on how the animated film was produced given that it was animated, writted, directed and edited by a Japanese crew, with a US team providing the vocal talents and accompanying soundtrack and FX.

The story follows...wait for it...a vampire hunter named D! D is on a mission to rescue Charlotte who is abducted by Meier Link, one of the most formidable vampires well known for his brutality. Along the way D competes with another group of 'bounty hunters' - the Marcus Brothers - for the huge reward placed on rescuing Charlotte.

The anime is more like a gothic, apocalyptic, sci-fi and character-driven and less bloody version of the original Blade movie. It's beautifully animated, to the extent where no matter how many times I watch it, I immediately want to replay it again. There's a lot of other interesting characters both in their appearance, special abilities and even character.

I'd totally recommend this to any anime fan, vampire fan, sci-fi fan or anyone who loves something a bit different. 9 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
achillesgirl

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Drunken Master wrote:

The is a commentary track recorded by the guys at www.podcastonfire.com for "Mismatched Couples". Just scroll down to find it on this page.

http://podcastonfire.com/?paged=2

My favorite movie reviewer and blogger, Kozo, wrote a great review for Mismatched Couples. Check it out if you want to laugh.

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/mismatched_couples.html
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Ip Man   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 5:10 am

Okay, considering that this movie has got a lot of praise from critics and audiences alike (has a 8.2 out of 10 rating on imdb!) I figure I should throw my own 2 cents in. So let's answer those burning questions you have:

"Firstly, are the fights good?" An overwhelming 'yes'.

"Now are there lots of fights?" Another overwhelming 'yes'.

"Awesome! I'll go buy 100 copies and rave about it on every board!" Now just hang on there...

While yes there are plentiful fights in the movie (I stopped counting after the fifth) which are all of great quality, I still didn't feel quite as excited in watching the action of this movie as I did with say Dragon Tiger Gate, Flash Point or basically anything Donnie has been in over the last years. Similarly, I found a lot more joy in watching Sammo's earlier Wing Chun movies Warriors Two and especially Prodigal Son. I put this mostly down to not seeing anything especially new, nor any amazing performances of either bone-crunching contacts or acrobatics. Speed is one thing though, and there is no doubt there was a lot of intricacy in all of the fight scenes.

But the place where the movie falls down (or crashes IMO) is the plot and particularly the characters. I didn't find many of the characters at all likeable to the point where I stopped caring about their names in the movie. Donnie as Ip Man I guess was okay, but more of a neutral character. I would say the biggest flaw was the similarity that Ip man drew with Fearless or even the Once Upon a Time in China series. Certainly, the plot revolves around a martial arts master through the Second World War and Cultural Revolution.

Getting back to those annoying characters - Donnie's wife first comes off as a stuck up cow
Crazy Lin (or Zin, I forget) who is a martial arts student that looks up to Ip Man - he's ok, but hot tempered and a sore loser
Crazy whatever's brother is just a moron
Fan Siu Wong's character is portrayed as a stupid, ill-bred 'farmboy'
etc, etc.

As you can probably guess, I'm less than satisfied after watching Ip Man. I'm going to have to watchWarriors Two andProdigal Son to give it a fairer comparison.

Anyway, enough ranting...

For fights alone, 7.5 out of 10, as a movie, 5.5!

Let's see if a war erupts here!

Last edited by Raoul on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I originally gave this a 3.5 but thought that was a bit extreme!)
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 am

Personally I loved "Ip Man". The narrative is far from perfect and the usual liberties have been taken with the facts, but as entertainment value it is first rate. Donnie Yen gives a restrained and mature performance unlike anything he has done before, and Sammo's choreography, although admittedly not groundbreaking, is certainly anchored in reality with a minimal use of wires or (Donnie's favourite) under-cranking and consistantly impressive. As far as I'm concerned it well deserved the best picture prize it picked up at the HK film awards. excellent

"Aces Go Places 5" 4/5

Another fine example of action comedy this time directed by Lar Kar-leung, so as you'd expect there is considerably more marial arts in this one. This film has the most impressive cast of the series with Leslie Cheung, Nina Li, Conan Lee, Danny Lee, Melvin Wong, Roy Cheung, Fennie Yuen and Walter Cho added to the cast. The only real drawback for me was the absence of Sylvia Chang who's scenes with Karl Maka were always a highlight of the previous films.
Back to top Go down
Dashiell
Dashiell

PostSubject: Chocolate   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 2:18 pm

"Chocolate" 4/5

Just watched Chocolate, the latest Thai "kicker" from PRACHYA PINKAEW, the director of "Ong Bak." I must say I was quite impressed. It's your standard strife-torn story of an underdog with a talent for avenging the wrongs done to her and her parents via her martial arts skills.

However...

This film has quite a few twists that you would not expect from this genre. The main character, played by JeeJa Yanin, is named "Zen" and she is a wonder to behold. She plays an autistic child who has an uncanny talent for mimicry and reflexes. She spends most of her time at home staring at Tony Jaa films and (you guessed it) memorizes all his moves and skills... which she uses against a group of transvestite thugs who work for a crime lord her mother and father have been unable to avoid.

Yes, the film is silly. Yes, it's a bit maudlin and over-the-top dramatically, much in the way the early Shaw films were. But that's not why you're watching it, right?! Wink

This girl cleans house in some of the most jaw-dropping ways, you begin to wonder how they didn't kill themselves shooting this. The "outtakes" at the end (done over the credits, Jackie Chan style) show you just how much pain they went through pulling this off. Yes, some things are done with CG assistance, but wow... I was marveling how this young girl manages to wipe the streets again and again with the minions of the crime lord that has done her family wrong.

There is even a lengthy "Kill Bill" homage at the end of the film, which totally sealed the enjoyment deal for me.

I wholeheartedly recommend this one to get your kung-fu (muay thai) fix!

Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 539w
Back to top Go down
achillesgirl

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Oooh, oooh, I have CHOCOLATE and haven't even watched it yet! Now I really want to!!
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 am

Chocolate was a fun movie from what I remember having watched it on youtube just after it came out (should probably be embarassed about that). Embarassed

Jeeja does a reasonably convincing job of beating the snot out of hordes and hordes of baddies using a plethora of Tony Jaa's now signature moves/finishers. My main gripe with the movie is that Jeeja is cute and has a small frame hence I didn't buy that she could put down a 200 pound guy with a flying elbow. She's not as fast as Tony or Dan Chupong, but I was willing to let that slide.

Things to watch out for (ie. the things I remember) - The fight in the butchers (I think it was a meathouse of some kind...Mainly remember the cleavers). There is a particularly painful looking fall in this section.

Jeeja's fight against the some guy with ADHD (again, I think??) This was easily my favourite fight from the movie as it was certainly different, very tightly choreographed and reminded me of countless scenes from chop sockey movies.

Also the last reel of the film with Jeeja doing some rooftop fighting. That is just some insane film-making, and it's surprising no one died in its production.
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 am

That fight up the side of the building is worth seeing "Chocolate" for alone. Surprised

"Female Prisoner No.701 Scorpion - Beast Stable" 3.5/5

For lovers of strange Japanese cinema one series of films has been a real unexpected treat. The third film in the series takes itself a bit more serious film than the previous two with our heroine on the run from a vengefull cop (Well she does cut his arm off to escape his grasp when he almost catches her!) after escaping from prison. Needless to say she befriends a struggling prostitute with a mentally handicapped brother who is having trouble with the local Yakuza. Trouble follows with all kinds of nasty people coming and going.......... The violence seems a touch darker and the whole thing comes accross slightly less comic book, but this is still a prime piece of exploitation cinema with an unpleasant lean towards sexual violence that puts this firmly into adults only territory- though nothing is explicit. Good, well our heroine anyway, wins out in the end in a suitably downbeat style. Meika Kaji (who also starred in the brilliant "Lady Snowblood") has gone into my list of favourite cult stars after this series. It's a shame her movies are so difficult to track down.
Back to top Go down
Dashiell
Dashiell

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Raoul wrote:
Chocolate was a fun movie from what I remember having watched it on youtube just after it came out (should probably be embarassed about that). Embarassed

Jeeja does a reasonably convincing job of beating the snot out of hordes and hordes of baddies using a plethora of Tony Jaa's now signature moves/finishers. My main gripe with the movie is that Jeeja is cute and has a small frame hence I didn't buy that she could put down a 200 pound guy with a flying elbow. She's not as fast as Tony or Dan Chupong, but I was willing to let that slide.

Things to watch out for (ie. the things I remember) - The fight in the butchers (I think it was a meathouse of some kind...Mainly remember the cleavers). There is a particularly painful looking fall in this section.

Jeeja's fight against the some guy with ADHD (again, I think??) This was easily my favourite fight from the movie as it was certainly different, very tightly choreographed and reminded me of countless scenes from chop sockey movies.

Also the last reel of the film with Jeeja doing some rooftop fighting. That is just some insane film-making, and it's surprising no one died in its production.

Exactly... (one guy was practically put in traction in the hospital!)

I'm glad you brought up the ADHD guy (I think it may have actually been ticks or tourettes syndrome) ... yes, that sequence was pretty insane... that whole section was the "Kill Bill" homage. I'm thinking the ADHD guy was supposed to be the "Gogo Yubari" character... the one that's allegedly going to give "our hero" a real run for their money.

affraid
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:57 am

I actually have little idea about the Kill Bill movies - not the biggest fan. But at least I do now understand the reference!

Thanks Danshiell!

flag of truce1
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2009 6:28 am

"Painted Faces" 4.5/5

I have been waiting to see this for a long time and I was not disappointed. This film conveys the last times of Peking Opera Schools with a certain ammount of candor and some obvious affection. Very loosly based on the experiences of Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and the other "little fortunes", this is not meant to be an exact depiction and certainly doesn't come across as one. Sammo gives a fine dramatic performance as Yu, the teacher who can see that he is part of a dying art form and cannot help but be a little bitter about it all. Lam Ching Ying is also brilliant as his troubled friend. I hope this does get the promised quality DVD release soon. It certainly deserves to be more easily available.
Back to top Go down
Katalin
Admin
Katalin

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2009 7:13 am

So true.

It is a drama and our Sammo and Lam are not "letting us" down as their talent shines through.

cheers2

Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 VolumeLabel-20 Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 VolumeLabel-9 Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 49 Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 E
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 6:06 am

Was that a VCD release DM or was that on one of those funny-looking contraptions called a "video"?
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 6:20 am

VCD. Not the best way to watch anything as far as I'm concerned, but as there is still no official DVD release I am happy to see it in any form. I'm hoping the long talked about DVD remaster will finally get issued this year. Me and dozens more I believe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recently watched movie thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next