The Place for Lam Ching Ying Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the late great martial artist Lam Ching Ying

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Recently watched movie thread

Go down 
+3
ekisha
Drunken Master
Raoul
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
achillesgirl

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am

Raoul wrote:
Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen

If you want to see big robots smashing into other big robots, you'll get stacks of it here.

4 out of 10.

I'll tell my son. He loves big robots smashing into other big robots!!
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 am

Too many to mention in one go so I'll highlight some when I have a few minutes spare.
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 3:56 am

"Manhunt" 4/5

This Norwegian entry into the stalk and slash genre is probably my first experience of this nations movie making, and as this sort of film goes it works pretty well. Brutal and just a tad disturbing, the tale (Set in 1974 which may have some relevance?) follows a somewhat clichéd plot where four friends who go on a weekend break camping and hiking in the woods instead of finding fun sex and whatever else takes their fancy discover that their lives are in danger from a hunting party where they become the prey. Some of this is way too realistic for its own good.

"Mr Vampire 2" 3/5

I think I actually enjoyed this less the second time around. Lam Ching Ying and Yuen Biao's comic timing is spot on. The support cast are great too, but the kid vampire sub plot is just so boring. :|

"Undead Or Alive" 3/5

This is a comedy horror western featuring zombies that has some laugh out loud moments but is pretty low on scares and gore. For a low budget effort the cinematography is pretty impressive though making this one of the best looking horror films ever.

"King Of Beggars" 3.5/5

Some nice action in the final reel helps wake you up after the slow middle section.

"Martyrs" 2.5/5

Two thirds disturbing gory horror and one third WTF thanks to a plot development that changes everything. This has got quite a reputation for being shocking but the final third makes no real sense at all.

"Magic Cop" 4/5

Lam Ching Ying at his comic best with some fantastic supernatural action. (Wha hoo!) Nuff said. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
olla86

olla86

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 am

Yesterday I reviewed “Mr. and Ms. Smith”. I like Brad Pitt! And Angelina Jolie is consummate as usual!
Back to top Go down
http://www.glittergraphicsnow.com
Katalin
Admin
Katalin

Female Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 am

I am planning to watch this movie soon. So you say it is fun. Where did you review it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lamchingying.com
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 am

"My Flying Wife" 3.5/5

This early nineties triad/ghost story action/comedy/drama combo is typical of HK cinema taking all sorts of directions in one movie and just running with it. Fantasy combines with drama in a story that revolves around love, death and reincarnation. (It's something to do with the reincarnation pearl, aparantly. I didn't know that. Very Happy ) Sammo Hung gives a fine performance getting the oportunity to show some nice moves in the few action scenes but more importantly he gets to portray some emotional depth. Roy Cheung and Tommy Wong also get some scene stealing moments.This does get a touch over sentimental towards the end, but there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoyable on first watch and definitely deserving more.

Last edited by Drunken Master on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 am

I've been watching loads, as usual. Here are some highlights/low points.

"Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" 0/5

I just had to see this based on the title alone. I was hoping for a cheesy comical tongue in cheek monster film. No such luck! This tripe actually takes itself seriously and ends up being an embarassing mess. Don't be suckered in by the cool title like I was. This is low grade sub standard B movie and TV film rubbish that isn't even worth watching for the chuckle factor. I've already wasted too much time watching and now telling you about. Just remember how kind I am. I watched this so you don't have to. nono

"Mr Sunshine" 3.5/5

This gentle romantic comedy starring Kent Cheng is about a nice guy who just can't help touching the lives of the people he comes into contact with. There is a touch of silliness here and there but on the whole this is a heartwarming film and the kind that I don't normally get the opportunity to see. Like the majority of HK films from the 80's a lot of the fun is spotting familiar faces in the support cast. For me, Richard Ng's performance is pure class.

"Blue Jean Monster" 3.5/5

A typical hotch-potch HK movie that throws everything into the pot and mixes well. Some bad taste gags and crazy action but on the whole this is fun all the way. What I liked most was the way Shing Fui-On was brought back to life through the magic power of cat pee and lightening. Based on this film I have to ask why he didn't get more leading roles. His comic timing is superb.

"Love Battlefield" 4/5

This is a character driven drama with some moments of extreme violence. A young couple find they are arguing all the time and question if they actually should be together at all. Their love is soon put to the ultimate test when they get caught up accidentally with some rather unsavoury crooks. The thing I liked most about this was the way it refuses to get overly sentimental towards the end. Well worth making the effort to see. ( I think it has only taken me about three years since it was recommended to me. Shocked )

"Kung Fu From Beyond The Grave" 3/5

This was a repeat viewing for me and I must admit I enjoyed it a lot more this time. I didn't even remember some of this. The Dracula fight is a real hoot. To say parts of this were obviously ripping off Sammo's "Encounters Of The Spooky Kind" wouldn't be stretching the truth at all.

"Dead Snow" 4/5

This film has it all if you are a Zombie or gore fanatic. (Yea, you got me. Evil or Very Mad ) The humour is dark and bloody but the violence is not taken so lightly with characters meeting unpleasant deaths. I have to confess that this had my attention as soon as I read it was about Nazi Zombies. Grrrrrr! zombi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently watched movie thread   Recently watched movie thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recently watched movie thread
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4