The Place for Lam Ching Ying Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the late great martial artist Lam Ching Ying

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What sort of martial arts movies do you like?

Go down 
3 posters

Wuxia
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap20%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Chop Sockey/Shapes
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap13%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
80s kickboxing
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap20%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Wire-fu/fantasy
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap13%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
CGI enhanced kung fu
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap7%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Stunt-driven fights (eg. Ong Bak)
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap27%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 4 ]
MMA/Grappling/Wrestling
What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_lcap0%What sort of martial arts movies do you like? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Raoul

Raoul

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-03-31

What sort of martial arts movies do you like? Empty
PostSubject: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 3:43 am

I guess this topic sort of follows on from the wuxia thread. Everyone has their tastes in movies right down to the genre.

Given that quite a few of us like martial arts, I think it would be fair to say that some of us prefer shapes to wuxia, or wuxia to wire-fu. Now's your chance to speak up!

I hope the choices are clear. scratch Multiple choices!

Last edited by Raoul on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:51 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Tried to make some choices easier to understand - probably failed)
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 12:12 pm

It's easier to say what I'm not too fussed on. I'm not a big fan of too much wire work and the grappling stuff isn't really my cup of tea, but generally I am fairly open to what I watch. I do enjoy grounded martial arts with plenty of stunt based action more than anything else. What do you expect from someone who's favourite martial artists have an Opera background?
Back to top Go down
ekisha

ekisha

Male Number of posts : 62

PostSubject: Re: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 12:28 pm

The same here.
Altough i do like Lau Kar Leung's and Chang Che's films,older comedy or straight kung fu films i prefer watching something like Shanghai Express,Armour Of God and Righting Wrongs.By the way my favourite action directors are Biao and Lam Ching Ying,they created most unique and special fights in my opinion.I'm sad cause Ying left us and Biao switched to TV productions.And big brother doesn't do his great movies anymore.But i understand HK people doesn't like martial arts anymore.So,what could be better than having an 80's urban actions filled with great fights?

I don't want to be rude but i think wuxia is the worst genre within MA.
Back to top Go down
Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Male Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 1:02 am

Nice new avatar Ekisha. clown
Back to top Go down
Raoul

Raoul

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 am

I guess I too sort of follow the undertones of DM in that I don't mind a lot of martial arts stuff.

Personally, I voted for 80s kickboxing and stunt-driven MA as I find it the most accessible. MMA stuff I can tolerate in small amounts (Flash Point excepted) as generally it doesn't look pretty, though admittedly, on purpose.

Wire-fu and CGI enhanced fights are actually close seconds for me, as stuff like the Once Upon a Time in China and Matrix series popularised. The biggest problem is though that they are all too often overused with lacklustre results -- Mind you', I'm anxiously waiting for the release of the Stormriders sequel.

Chop sockey and Shapes fights have a special place in my heart as essentially they are the root of all kung fu films. Lau Kar Leung's work at Shaw Brother studios is brilliant and creative and needless to say that countless shapes fights by his crew and the Venoms group would punch and kick their way into my top ten favourite fights. That said, as mentioned previously, I find 80s action more accessible, not just for the action, but because of the storyline. A lot of 'chop sockey' and 'shapes' movies tend to have underdeveloped or overused storylines...at least for me.

And then yes, wuxia. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that it's the weakest link in MA movies, but it does cop a lot of flack. There is generally more character development in the wuxia movies I've seen, which dramatically speaking, makes them somewhat more viewable. Action-wise, again like wirefu fights, I think they're good and bad. I still think that the Shaw Brothers were the only ones to really pull off the wuxia genre time and time again. Sure, Ching Siu Tung is a brilliant and intricate choreographer, but he tends to "over-cut" fight scenes making it not nearly as flowing as the best the Shaws had to offer back in the late 70s to 80s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What sort of martial arts movies do you like?   What sort of martial arts movies do you like? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1